FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:51 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Magna
Another poster said Apple Pay uses MSD (magnetic strip data)?? I don't see how one type of data is better than the other (MSD vs. EMV). Bu if the data is "better" on the EMV chip, why wouldn't they upload EMV data when we set up Apple Pay?

BTW, what happens if a pay terminal uses EMV (dip and chip), but I swiped instead? Would the purchase code correctly? Perhaps the payment wouldn't even go through?
MSD contactless is a compatibility measure for countries like the US that aren't 100% chip enabled. It doesn't include some of the security measures that the EMV protocol has, so the networks are pushing for us to transition away from it. That said, I don't think anyone knows why AmEx sets up mobile wallets differently than contactless on physical cards.

As for your other question, the terminal will make you insert if you try to swipe. The exception is if the chip fails a certain number of times (usually 2-3). Regardless, there should be no difference in merchant coding for bonus purposes.

Originally Posted by twkidM3
Is it best to avoid Google Pay, in case it doesn't code correctly?
In my experience there's no difference in merchant coding with the physical card compared to using any mobile wallet. The one issue you may run into is if you use something like Rewards Network or Yelp Cash (although recently mobile wallet transactions have been counting for both despite not having the virtual card number on either).

However, there are T&C in AmEx Offers etc. that indicate that mobile wallet transactions may not count. That's likely CYA language, though.