FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:42 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by matt_s_london
I got this what seems to be a standard response, how do they prove the weather situation? The explanation given onboard was an aircraft not being able to leave prague and the crew needing to be changed over from stand by staff which took time.
It looks like your service was about 3hr 40 minutes late back into LHR. I can't see the dispatch information now, that's only available for a few days, and probably wouldn't help much. The way this works legally is that if this got to court, it's up to BA to prove that extraordinary circumstances applied and whether it was probably handled, at which point they have to provide the evidence. It's not necessarily much different from what you have been told: if there was a weather restriction there may have been a risk of a crew going out of hours, and therefore the need to locate a standby crew. Getting such a crew usually doesn't take very long however. I suspect your best bet now is to ask for this to go to CEDR - at which point the relevant evidence would be provided by BA.