FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:54 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rooivalk
I'm going to have the same issue. I will definitely be way over the threshold but will definitely have huge amount of refunds.

I am not sure which flights I will be taking yet (they're all refundable) and I want the 5x points, hence why I put it on the card.

I have not had this issue with other cards (purchasing then refunding) but then they were not in the welcome bonus spend threshold...
I believe purchases / refunds AFTER the initial period of meeting spend requirement generally have no problem.
It is the stupid Algo designed to automatically flag any refund in the first 90 days period and then disqualify the bonus.
Friend did not think twice when he booked those day trips. He did not realize it was impractical to do a day trip from Rome down to Naples area for consecutive days. He should have stayed in Naples for those sightseeing activities instead.
At the end he only kept the Pompeii day trip and canceled the rest without ever knowing this would cause issues with AMEX until the reality hit.