FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:37 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ngls
Hello all,

This morning I called to move a 7 night certificate from a booking for May 2019 to a reservation in the same property for July 2019. for the same property. After a long time on hold the agent told me that the certificate has been attached to my July reservation. I went ahead and checked that (saw a certificate attached to the booking) while she was on the phone, thanked her and then cancelled the May reservation. A few minutes later I tried to make a new booking and I saw that my account had very few points. I realized that what the agent did was to create a new certificate and not to transfer the old one as I told her to do. I called in immediately and asked for this issue to be fixed even if this meant that I keep my original reservation for May. I spent more than one hour on the phone with the agent telling me that this is not possible due to a category change and that now I have an unattached certificate that is good for a hotel of a lower category.

I sent an e-mail to Marriott and waiting to hear from them. Any ideas of what I could do to fix that?

Thanks,
ngls
You have not told us whether the same property has changed category from when you initially booked to a higher category after Aug.
If that is the case, NO, you would not be able to book the same property now at higher category, There is nothing you can fix because this is not a new program rule - it has always been like that - you can book in advance on hotels that are set to go up in category and your stay is after the category going up, But your reservation is not changeable. Any change would forfeit the "privilege" of paying the old level.

If your case fits the above, you can save your time to contact Marriott as it would not get your booking for stay in July with the old price.

You may argue back your old May 2019 reservation in the old price due to the "misunderstanding" , but it would still be an uphill battle.

If the property has not gone up in category then Marriott messed up and you certainly can get this fixed, and ask for courtesy points for your trouble.