FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 10-12 days trip itinerary to NZ (both islands)
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:51 pm
calbear2005

Originally Posted by poisonsag
We just booked the flights and we will be arriving to AKL on 10th Nov (early moring) and have flight returning to IAD from CHC on 22nd morning, so we have 12 full nights.
Personally, I would skip Auckland and leave for the South Island the day after you arrive (or even the day of if you can stand another flight) and fly into ZQN. From there, rent a car and tour the South Island, making your way to Christchurch. What I did was I made a map of all the things I wanted to see/do and basically made a driving route that squeezed in as many as possible. I didn't tour the North Island at all, so adventure/landscape/nature there would be someone else's call, but for 11 days in the South Island, I think you could hit the highlights. Just be sure you account for how much driving you'll be doing; driving will take a little longer than you think and you will inevitably make multiple stops as you drive from place to place because there are so many short walks and viewpoints along the road.