FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thailand Honeymoon Help for Nov/Dec 2018
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:19 pm
Beltway2A

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Anlun
We stayed at both the Peninsula and the Siam during out Honeymoon while in Bangkok. We had an awful time at the Peninsula, to the point we vowed never to stay in one again. I know you shouldn't judge a brand by one experience, but it was just bad. Couple that with the fantastic experience at the Siam and the fact that it was our honeymoon magnified the negative. You can see my trip report about it, but I would never recommend the Peninsula. I'd recc the Siam 100% over Pen, unless location is a deal breaker.
Thanks for the heads up, I checked it out. I actually had a very disappointing stay at the St. Regis Osaka last year (including but not limited to being lied to about coffee service and given a smoking room despite reserving non-smoking) that really soured me on the brand, but the enthusiastic advocacy by our very own bhrubin has me considering giving them another chance, albeit one sufficiently far away from whoever does the training in Osaka.

Your experience at the Peninsula sounds pretty awful though. The reasons I was looking at it included the river location (with house boat) and great FHR 3rd night free rates, but it sounds like you were treated quite poorly. The on-property dining concerns me less than the fact that someone actually halted you with a hand on your chest.