FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Diamond Plus worth anything these days?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:05 pm
JoeDaejeon

Originally Posted by nme7
But more often, the general rule is higher paying fare (Y,B,M) customers are given first consideration regardless of member status. This information comes from OZ management.
Not sure why you mentioned specifically Y,B,M. Originally it sounded from your post that it went strictly down the line of booking classes, from highest to lowest. But if it's just Y,B,M that are given a priority, and then all the lower booking classes are lumped together, that would make more sense. While I haven't had any hard proof of exceptions to the original claim, as sol95 did, I know I've received numerous op-ups on tickets in S, which is the lowest booking class that earns 100% miles. I'm lifetime D+, not Platinum. Just based on that, I have doubts as to it strictly going down the order of booking classes.

Y is very expensive on most routes, and I doubt many people buy those tickets. Discounted J is often cheaper, but of course if you need the full flexibility that Y offers, or it's all that's available, then you might not have a choice. But if I just needed to fly, without regard to restrictions, I'd always choose discounted J over Y. B and M are cheaper, but still quite pricey, and in my case, again I'd most likely choose discounted J, if available over those booking classes. So if just Y,B,M are given priority, then people like myself would have a much greater chance of getting an op-up on tickets of a much lower booking class. But if not, and with the huge number of passengers who would have at least Gold status, I don't see how I'd be getting op-ups as often as I do.

Certainly I appreciate you passing along the information, as you've heard it, and I'm not trying at all to say you're wrong. There's nothing worse than someone sharing potentially valuable information and then to be belittled in saying they're wrong. But I question if that information you received was precise and unambiguous with respect to going down the line of all booking classes, or if it was general and could have been interpreted as it was in some tiers, rather than each separate booking class, or limited to only the highest booking classes? Or, it could be as you suggest, that the duty manager is just frequently overriding the system in favor of me and others.