FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:42 am
littlevoices

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
No chance at all, that would be unlawful.

The HKG crew have been given their legally required notice, they have just been stood down from operations and are not required to work during their notice period.
Which AFAIK in HK is somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks. It is not a generous gesture in the least. HK is a 'right to work' kind of place, which means laying off employees is very simple and requires no consultation or rationale (not trying to be a lawyer, just based on my own experiences here).

I wish the cabin crew well.

The letter is very disappointing, and whilst BA may have felt the commercial need to close the hub it could clearly have been managed more politely. So, whilst I'm not convinced that 85 people's worth of hotels is that cheap in the city, I do recognise that local wages are high in comparison to the UK, and if BA was really in competition with Cathay for staff the additional non salary benefits may have been very high (e.g. Cathay pilots here are getting close to £10k a month of housing allowance, which I appreciate is far more than cabin crew would get, but shows the general direction, even if they are trying to get rid of these).