FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:27 pm
sinfonia

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by sinfonia
Does anyone know if it is possible to attach a lesser OC certificate to a reservation? That is - is it now (or was it previously) possible to attach an OC5 certificate to an OC7/NC5 reservation?

I ask because I had an OC5 that I discovered today was attached to a NC5 hotel reservation. I am almost certain that it was done by accident by a CSR when I asked them to detach a different certificate and attach it to this hotel reservation. But I am just curious if that somehow upgraded my certificate or not. I am guessing not, and I do not plan to use this reservation.
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I heard of this happening prior to the transition in a thread here. Somehow a rep stuck an OC5 onto a Tier 5 reservation. No idea what the outcome was though.
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Not great would be my guess
Yeah, mine too. I need to detach it but am pretty confused what all needs to be done with my packages so have not done so. I would really feedback on how I am thinking to proceed. Would appreciate critiques/corrections of my methods:

1) My OC5 unattached certificate got accidentally attached to a NC5 hotel reservation that I planned to cancel anyway. Detach, trade OC5 830T for NC4 QP83 for 0K, leave unattached. Cancel this NC5 reservation.
2) My OC6 is attached to a NC4 reservation that I wish to keep. Detach OC6, trade OC6 870T for NC5 QP91 (for 30K?). Then, attach NC4 QP83 (in #1 above) to the NC4 reservation.
3) My OC7 is attached to a NC5 reservation that I wish to keep. Stay.
4) My OC8 is attached to a NC5 reservation that I wish to keep. Detach, trade OC8 950T for NC5 QP91 (is this right??? and [automatically?] receive 30K refund), then attach NC5 QP91 to the NC5 reservation.
5) My OC9 is attached to a NC7 reservation. Stay.
6) Use the NC5 QP91 (from #2 above) for a new reservation sometime in the next year.

Really dumb question - for #s 3 and 5 above, can I just keep the old certificates attached to the reservations and not touch the reservations? Does it benefit me to change them to new certificates and then reattach to the same old reservations? Does it benefit me to keep them as old certificates? Does it not matter?

Thanks much to all of you who have done so much legwork in this.