FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Scored an upgrade JFK-SFO w/500's as a Gold - common?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:25 pm
Maxwell Smart

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Sounds like I should be happy to have bagged a unicorn on this one, but will keep JFK in mind if I can travel off-peak for transcons.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don't think Monday afternoon would be a particularly heavy business travel period on this route. Busier than Saturday afternoon I'm sure, but not like Monday morning or Thursday afternoon.
I was thinking in terms of people spending part of Monday at work then heading to SFO for the remainder of the week, but perhaps that's not as prevalent as I had imagined.

Originally Posted by enviroian
dude, play the lottery.

now.

Seriously.
I did. Apparently I used up all my luck getting the upgrade.

Originally Posted by PHL
It happens. Did you happen to notice the upgrade list? You may have trumped other Golds if your prior 12 month spend was higher than theirs.
Since I cleared at T-24, it was one of the few times I didn't pay attention to the list, though I think I remember it was pretty long.

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Damn nice! Sticker upgrades clearly so rarely these days that it sure feels like the jackpot when they do. Too bad the service wasn't up to snuff!
As a former United 1K I've had plenty of upgrades in the past, and recognize that it can be hit or miss on any given flight.

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Taking into account the flight, day of week and time of day the odds are/were 0.886% of happening.
Nice to be considered a one-percenter!