FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:56 pm
kds4

Programs: Marriott Rewards Since 1992 - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Happy
You may want to read the image more carefully. Your math is wrong. The 30K is not a refund because 75K full refund is receivd.
Poster received a NO COST UPGRADE from NC4 to NC5 with the additional 30K credited.

The poster received BOTH the full refund of 75K and an additional positive adjustment, to ADD UP to105K TOTAL VALUE, so s/he can redeem an UPGRADED NC5.

For the 30K refund you understood, it would be a 75K back, and then a redemption of 45K NC4, leaving a 30K refund on the account.

Right now, it is an ADDED 30K to make the redemption of an NC5 at 105K without having to pay for it.

This is the 2nd DP reported that an UK rep has done some goodwill adjustment to allow a NO COST UPGRADE. We do not know if this particular rep misunderstood the policy or being exceedingly generous, because someone has asked for the same treatment 2 days ago but was quickly shot down on - his rep told him he had to pay 30K to upgrade. He opted to downgrade and received 30K refund instead.

Come to think about it, both DPs may come from the same rep who either misunderstood the refund policy / procedure, or just did it as a goodwill. In other words, this is a pure chancy happening that could not be duplicate, Great for the 2 posters who have gotten it but we should not expect this is the policy.
My post was based directly from the information posted by Marriott on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html as well as my own personal experience doing just what this describes. I downgraded 4 'old' Category 6 accommodation certificates from travel packages redeemed before 8/18/18. I now have 4 'new' Category 5 accommodation certificates in my MR account and 60k MRPs have also been deposited. (Note - my travel packages were 5 night, hence the 15k MRP refund. If they had been 7 night the refund would have been the full 30k MRPs per package announced by Marriott).

Speaking only for myself, I received exactly what Marriott announced (but only after exhaustive effort involving multiple hours and several phone calls). YMMV.