FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Issues with driving in Morocco
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:06 am
stimpy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I'm considering a visit to Morocco that would include a stay in a couple of cities (Rabat or Casablanca, and Marrakech) as well as a trip to scenic or historic villages in the Atlas Mountains or the Sahara Desert. What do I need to know about the roads and driving in Morocco to decide if a rental car would be a viable option for the less populated part of the trip?

Are there city or airport locations where renters had acceptable experiences? Most rental reviews I came across are uniformly negative.

Do rental agencies in Morocco provide a driver option with their cars, as in a few other developing countries?

Am I likely to encounter difficult traffic conditions or many unpaved roads?
As far as trips to the remote locations, I'm open to either day trips from Marrakech or hotel/riad hopping between villages.
I driven my own car and friends cars, but have had no issues with road quality. The roads are pretty good and they are toll roads between the major cities. In the cities themselves you have to drive very slowly and carefully or the police will stop you and ask to pay a fine. It is effectively a bribe and a relatively small amount of money.

If renting, you should be OK with a major brand like Hertz or Avis. Otherwise I wouldn't try a lesser name.