FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MHUpgrade option, anyone tried it?
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:37 pm
SilverChris

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by ashbjr
So it appears MHUpgrade has indeed gone bonkers. I am looking at upgrading KUL-PEK. The Wiki here has an entry for MYR 345, which is 80 USD. Right now, the MHUpgrade minimum bid sits at USD190. And to get to the greener parts of the scale, I am looking at $250.
Minimum bids have always been dynamic, so just because someone reported $80 three years ago doesn't mean you should expect an equally low amount. They've obviously decided that they can get away with charging more than $80 for a lie-flat seat, especially since the entire A333 fleet has been refurbished. $190 to upgrade on a 6 hour flight doesn't seem outrageous to me, frankly.

Originally Posted by ashbjr
Over the last several years, I have just bought promo J fares on MH as they tend to be just a little over normal economy fares. On this one, due to a number of reasons, I couldn't. I am OWE, what are the chances of an op-up. Is this flight generally full? EF currently shows a completely empty cabin, but my departure date is about a month away.
If you're looking for an airline that habitually gives out op-ups to elites then you'll have to fly CX/KA. Op-ups are relatively rare on MH, let alone on empty flights. Even when they do happen, Enrich elites are at the top of the list.

Expecting one on an empty flight will just lead to disappointment. If you really want J, you'll have to pony up for J.