FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When did the Big Hotel chains first open up in Asia
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:27 pm
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Anecdotally: I stayed in a LM in Tokyo (not currently a LM) in the early 1990s, before there was a Starwood. I recall the ANA, a bunch of Prince hotels, and some traditional ones such as the Imperial and the Palace hotels, although the Palace badly needed renovation at that time. There were a couple very expensive and service oriented distinguished small traditional hotels (not ryokan) in Ginza.

In the late 1990s shortly before the handover, Hong Kong had major chains such as IC, Sheraton, etc., but of course this was before the W and RC (and the airport express train as the old airport was still being used).

By about 2000, the major chains were present in Seoul (Hilton, Hyatt, RC, etc.) and seemed better and to be better regarded than the equivalent chains in the USA, but I don't recall international chain hotels in Pusan (but I might not have been staying in the same neighborhood). Smaller cities and local resort areas seemed to have primarily independent or local chain hotels.

In the early 2000s, Taipei had a very well regarded Hyatt and a traditional LHW property that was good but barely four star in quality.

In 2008, the "best" hotel in Guangzhou was supposedly owned by someone in Hong Kong and it was a fine four star property with some luxury touches, such as in room check in. There were some new American chain hotels over by the convention center. Also at that time, Shanghai had a very respected StR (now the Hongta LC) before its downfall, plus I recall the LRM, at least one Marriott, a Howard Johnson's (!), etc. However smaller cities (say, of a population of around only four million) were mostly local hotels, with some respected French chain properties IME.

Somewhat surprisingly, NRT still doesn't seem to have *foreign* chain hotels.

1. Beijing
-the GW Sheraton opened in the mid 80s
-the original Shangri-La opened around 1990 (bad location, but it was near my university, and I loved their brunches)
-China World (also Shanri-La) trailed it by a few years, and Kerry opened in ~1998

2. Shanghai
-the JA Hilton was the first Western hotel tmk
-the Portman opened about 10 years later as a Shangri-La, but RC took over management in 1997
-I also recall the Sofitel on NJ East Road, but it was never a really good property
-the Peace Hotel has been around for ages, but honestly wasn't nice until Fairmont started managing it

3. HK
-there have been good hotels there since before I was born