FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A rant on AA award options
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:16 pm
justhere

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Just to add a data point and not defending AA or anything, as many of these "rants" are just one offs for the poster, as is my example. Just booked 2 J saver awards US-TLV including F on AA to ORD and J on QR and RJ. 70k one way. Could have had similar on the return but wanted a more direct routing coming home due to time constraints. This was about 30 days in advance. And putting it on hold was great as it let me keep checking for better routings (which I found before having to pay). Originally the QR was from IAH and was on the alternate day when there was old J and no Qsuite. And would have had to book a separate ticket to get to IAH as I hit the 4 segment limit. Booked it so as to have something then found the better routing via ORD and one less segment so able to add the domestic leg.

Granted I had some flexibility and have a couple of 6ish hour layovers, as well as a ~22 one in Doha, which I think is great as I get to experience that city as well. But overall very happy with what I got for 70k/ticket. Give or take about 7cents/point although can't seem to actually price the ticket with the exact flights I have. Either way I'm happy. And this comes after booking 5 saver awards via Avios for r/t tickets in Y to Hawaii during the summer about 3 weeks in advance. (Yes, all 5 on the same flights).

I know not everyone can wait till last minute so I'm not trying to disprove or discredit their experience, just sharing mine.