FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:57 pm
jrich7970

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had that happen twice. In both cases, a housekeeping supervisor entered the room (not just opened the door) when I wasn't dressed (in one case, I didn't hear the tapping on the door because I was in the shower, which the housekeeper obviously should have heard) and had the deadbolt set, with the hotel swearing that housekeeping supervisors should not have key cards that can override the deadbolt. I did scream to management, but I had the feeling that this was SOP/business as usual.
It goes the other way too. Much to my surprise, and, actually, delight, that they are so strict.

I was at the Marquis in DC, and I asked for some laundry to be sent up that I had forgotten when I walked in. I had the DND on my door, which I had forgotten about. 15 minutes later, my phone rang, and was the FD telling me that someone with my laundry was outside my door. I'm like, what the?

So, I opened the door, and the staff member told me it was forbidden for them to knock on a door that had a DND on it. The guy had to call down to the FD so they could call me.

I apologized to the guy, and gave him a nice tip for following the rules.

So, at least at *that* property, they have some rules that are supposed to be followed. Not sure they're always followed though.

Things go both ways though. For example, I never leave the hotel without returning my key, even though it's accepted these days. My thinking is, if I let them know I have left, especially if I have left early, they can turn that room around now.