FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Zanzibar
Thread: Zanzibar
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:15 am
SilverSpoon

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by Epicura
I am kinda surprised because I did book a client less than 2 months ago at the Residence, and they were extremely happy. There have also been a few good comments on this proerty FWIW. They booked a 2 BR villa with pool for the 5 of them and truly liked it. Their previous trip was Alila Jabal Akhdar, just to put things in perspective.

Of course Mnemba is the best. But like you indicated, it also comes at a cost when travelling with children. In general I do feel like many travellers here are focused on travelling as a couple. Nothing wrong with that and may you all enjoy your trips. But keep in mind that some of us are actually 4, 5 or even more. So we need to at least double our budget.

Did you have a look at the Asilia properties? https://www.asiliaafrica.com/east-af...afari/zanzibar
Also barefoot luxury and much more of the beaten path. If you want more details, just let me know!

I would stay away from the many, many all-in tourist traps like the ones in LHW, Xanadu (sorry Mac!) ... Zanzibar is indeed very touristy and is sold as an AI destination for EU package travellers. Be aware!
Honestly I can't even begin to describe now bad The Residence was:

1. A big room but shabby. We had a garden room which looked on to a shabby garden. The beach view rooms could easily be seen into from the beach.
2. The grounds could have been beautiful but the gardens weren't watered so they were arid.
3. Service was well meaning but confused.
4. Food was terrible. Buffets for dinner and breakfast. No a la carte option at breakfast, we had to queue around a buffet where the cooked food was cold and congealed. My husband who isn't even very fussy about food couldn't eat it. One night we had a 'private dinner' on the beach but rather awkwardly we were one of three couples. Food at this meal was awful, lobster covered in some weird yogurt sauce.
5. Though each villa had a private pool, the main pool was crowded and no free seats.
6. Our arrival struck a negative note. The transfer didn't pick us up at the airport and we ended up having to get a taxi to the hotel. We had no local currency and the hotel had to pay the taxi driver. They stood there arguing price with him while we stood tired and bewildered not even offered a seat let alone a drink.

Our time at Mnemba couldn't have been more different.

Having said all that, this was two years ago and even when we arrived there was a new GM who recognised the problems and was looking to implement changes.