FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:51 pm
drvannostren

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I had a similar, but not escalated situation flying BOG-IAH at peak season. I offered to be a volunteer, knowing I had no checked bags and obvs hoping to get some compensation. Ended up not needing my seat, but then I got on board the 57 only to find all the bins were totally full. I was in like the third to last row, and found that literally 4 of the bins were occupied by non-pax bags. 1 is like life rafts or something, ok fine, seems odd THAT's where to stow them, but I don't build planes I just work on the ramp. 1 bin was full of some extra blankets/peanuts...again, seems like there should be somewhere else to put that stuff but oh well, then 2 bins were full of FA luggage. At this point I'm thinking, can the flight crew not have their bags gate delivered? I've worked on the ramp for more or less 10 years and have seen plenty of crew bags as gate deliveries, if there's space needed, it just makes sense. Being last aboard, despite the fact that I was trying to be kinda helpful volunteering, I get it, the bins are full. So I asked if my rollaboard could be checked. I got a dirty look and a mouthful from the FA "blah blah, should've boarded earlier, blah, why didn't you check this in the first place etc etc".

I get it, people have bad days, I know I have my fair share of them, but then if you can't take the simplest request/question without flying off the handle, maybe you should re-think your chosen field and move into a job that isn't literally customer facing for the entire shift.

I think the OP has done basically all that can be done, I hope the FA's name was taken, but at the very least being a GS should get someone to pay attention to this. Write the blog post if you feel it necessary, you've already kinda done that here, but taking it to the media is a bit much. You didn't get beat up, it doesn't sound like any insults or slurs were thrown your way, so there's just no reason to escalate to that kind of level because you got yelled at by someone who shouldn't have.