FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:48 am
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by tygran37
Did you guys see the changes that look like they are coming to the PRG? For those who haven't the revamp looks like it is going to be: 4x Restaurants (possibly US only), 4x Grocery Stores (up to $25k/year), new $120 restuarant credit/year (only usable at specific places, $10/month), will keep the $100 airline credit. I could see myself moving to Amex and using a primary combo of the BBP and PRG.
If this proves to be a permanent and widespread change, it certainly makes the PRG more attractive (especially relative to its main competitor the CSP/CSR family), but for those who already had the CSR/CSP, PRG, or other common bonus cards and used the SPG Amex for non-bonus spend, it doesn't change much.

Personally if Amex is improving its portfolio, I wish the Everyday Preferred would add a restaurant bonus category. I would have no problem hitting 30 transactions a month between frequent lunches out, coffee shop purchases, etc., but I don't necessarily reliably have 30 transactions a month to put on an EP once you exclude dining.