FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:31 pm
Statman

Originally Posted by acarney
Do you think I would run into issues if I got this card and used it to purchase $100 to $150 Visa or MasterCard gift cards at Safeway so then I can spend them over at Fred Meyer (which currently shows as a warehouse store). I would LOVE 4x on dining and grocery and combined with my platinum would probably put my CSR out of use.... but it's not worth getting for 4x dining if I can't also make use of the grocery. (Shifting my grocery buying away from Fred Meyer isn't an option due to selection of products carried in my area)

My grocery spend would probably only be $350 to $500 a month though, so it should fall in line with "normal" grocery spending and wouldn't be used to abuse the system to be able to spend 10k a month on grocery items or anything.
I think if you buy a few regular groceries at Safeway and toss in a Visa or Mastercard when you are checking out, then I doubt you will see any issues with Amex.

As a data point, I will sometimes buy a $25 Starbucks gift card when I am at a grocery store when I am checking out because I give the gift card to my dog's groomer as a tip when I take my dog in for her bi-monthly grooming. Never had any issues with getting the points from Amex.