FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quick general facts about flight prices vs ticket purchase date
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyingHighlander

Quick general facts about flight prices vs ticket purchase date

An unexpected discussion regarding corporate travel policy has arisen at work, and I'm looking for general facts/rules of thumb regarding international (from US) business class tickets.

1. Generally it feels to me like a business class ticket is often 5-7 times the price of economy. And premium economy is around twice the price of economy. Am I anywhere near correct?

2. What is a typical example of business pricing, in terms of 12 months out, 6 months out, 3 months, and 1 months out? Trying to understand what % difference it truly makes. I appreciate there's variables, but any rules of thumb would help.

3. What tricks are there to get cheaper international flights? For example, if an international departure needs a domestic connection to start it seems cheaper to fly, for example, Southwest from DEN-SFO, then on a separate ticket fly United Business SFO-International wherever.

thanks for any help! I'd usually do my own homework before posting but have no time.