FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maltese Mulligan - A Visit To Malta With Wizzair, Air Malta and TAROM
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:58 am
Romanianflyer

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
After changing buses at Valletta's centra bus station I was on my way to the second sight of the day: the temples of Hagar Qim. This megalithic temple complex dates from 3600 to 3200 BC and is therefore one of the oldest religious structure ever discovered.

The site is quite scenic as it is located on the seaside. It exists of a small museum and two excavated complexes above which a huge tent-like structure is placed. This is to protect the site for the elements, as the limestone stones which were used to build the temples suffered from weathering in the past.

One of the unique features of the site, which is UNESCO World Heritage listed, is that the temples were created exactly to align with the rising sun at the equinoxes.

There are also some cool Medieval watch towers around the site where you can walk to.

The museum was small but enjoyable as everything was neatly explained and detailed. I would certainly recommend the site to everyone with an interest in ancient history.