FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:57 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FrancisA
The ATC delay BA is claiming is a single short circle of West London whilst in a queue to land at LHR. This took the 8 minutes claimed. Again I would say this was normal.
I'm sure the LHR regulars would note that once or twice around the hold is entirely normal, 15 minutes plus would be unusual these days. Going straight in without a hold is - well - not uncommon these days, and the 20 - 30 minutes in the hold are things of the past (though low speed floating over Oxfordshire is more common). But I would say 8 minutes is normal and booked into the schedule. If you left LIN clearly over 3 hours late (?) and accepting that the departure time is generally irrelevant, nevertheless I don't think BA can rely on an 8 minute hold to avoid EC261.

I suggested MCOL would be better than CEDR, however CEDR does involve a more clear exchange of information before the adjudicator reaches their decision. It may be worth on a "normal for LHR" day studying a sample of Flightradar24 movements to establish what is reasonable here.