View Single Post
Old Sep 17, 18, 4:15 pm
Often1
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
I do believe the TIMATIC site is concise. The problem, from my view, is the AA GAs not willing to read any further than they have to before saying no. I may have a biased view, but I don't see why AA can't devise a decision tree process that asks specific questions to walk the GAs through this. They only fly to certain airports, I think they all allow TWOV travel. Checking travel continues to other countries should be simple enough. I think all these issues need to be escalated to Dallas so they get a feel for the volume of issues. Maybe they will learn particular stations need more training or staff replacement.
The problem arises from carrier training for staff, whether it's AA, DL, or frankly a number of the non-Chinese Asian carriers whereby they view a ticket such as LAX-PEK-NRT-LAX, where NRT is a connection, not a stopover, as travel from the US to China and back to the US, while Chinese immigration authorities view that same itinerary as travel from the US to China and onwards to Japan (and then could care less what happens from Japan, if anything).

The former is the correct way to look at a ticket as an IATA ticketing matter, while the latter is the correct way to look at document requirements for entering China at PEK.

The language in TIMATIC needs to be express on this point. The proof of the pudding is that agents from unrelated carriers in unrelated locations are making the same error.