View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 18, 9:13 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post

Drats! Glad I spotted this thread now. Guess I was not expecting such a hassle from the AA than with border patrol.

We're off on a cruise out of PVG in four months. Based on comments here, I best advise my 15 peeps in the group that we best get visas as I've assured them that we qualify to be TWOV since we're arriving pre-cruise by 72 hrs. For the bulk of the group, this will be the only time they will be visiting China since most are retired family and friends. Us "younger mature" adults are fulfilling a bucket list for our parents since it's a family event celebration.
Hang on a second! There may not be a need to go to great expense for visas.

The problem with AA is not TWOV per se, it's the definition of travel 'to a third country'. The two issues mentioned on this thread are because the routing was USA-China-Japan-USA (or similar), where the stop in the third country was only a transit.

Had the stop in Japan been a proper stopover, AA wouldn't have cared.

Of course AA is wrong, there is no difference between a transit and a stopover. As long as the boarding passes into and out of China read country A-B(China)-C they don't care as it satisfies TWOV.

In your case you will be flying into China and departing on a cruise. There is no issues with transit/stopover etc.

If you are in doubt, you could head to your local airport and ask check-in to give you an idea of how they will determine your flights. Perhaps a lot cheaper and less time consuming that applying for visas (unless of course you intend to travel to China again).