FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions on first time Norway trip
View Single Post
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:21 pm
beltway

Originally Posted by waffle
June/July is a lovely time to be visiting! There are never any guarantees on the weather in western Norway, but at least you'll have lots of daylight.

I recommend spending more time in Bergen! As FlyingJoy mentioned, there are lots of very accessible hikes that start right in the city centre. And if the weather isn't on your side, you'll have far more indoors options here than elsewhere.

Instead of renting a car, you could take the train to Flåm and get a multi-day boat pass, although you'll be wanting a car if you want to explore beyond the train/boat routes. In that case, I would suggest renting and returning in Bergen and skipping the catamaran (maybe replace it with a day trip from Sogndal). If you want to take the Flåm railway, it's always an option to leave the car in Myrdal, walk or cycle down to Flåm (4–6 hours on foot, paved roads for most of the way and very scenic) and take the train back up.
I second the suggestion to spend more time in Bergen. As I posted in a recent thread (Seeking advice on Nutshell itinerary), we did an overnight there in July & wished we’d had another day.

Re rental car, another option is to take the train to Voss & rent from the super nice Hertz agency there. From Voss you can drive north to Vik—be sure to see the Hopperstad stave church there—and catch a car ferry to Balestrand, or just head east to Flåm. Either way, just north of Voss are the amazing Twindefossen waterfalls; you can see them from the highway, but it’s worth pulling over for.