FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ gold status match
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:26 pm
SeaProf

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by sbiddle
While I'm sure we've all lodged upgrades for people (and I'll admit I lodge them 2-3 times per year for a friend who visits the US but is only Gold) at the end of the day doing this really just is a self defeating. It simply means more upgrades out there which in turn affects all of us.

I know there are still a small number of Elite pax who lodge significant numbers of upgrades for people. Air NZ took steps to clamp down on this in part by removing the ability to purchase APD with OneSmart and introducing a $5 top-up fee for doing this with the Air NZ Airpoints credit card along with introducing the 20% commission into the T&C. While this is currently being waived Air NZ reserve the right to introduce this at any time as a measure to stop what they determine as abuse of the APD upgrades.

APD upgrades are the best benefit of being Elite, and I'd hate to see major changes occurs need to occur.
The lack of credit card options is the biggest disadvantage for those of us in North America. All our dollars and points are accrued solely through flying (assuming no NZ address, of course), yet we have to attain the same point levels credit card users attain.