FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question about Canadian passport control
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:01 pm
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Much slower than that is CATSA (the Canadian "TSA"). Always extremely slow and inefficient. Nexus (supposedly faster) lanes are always a good 4 fold + slower than general lane, so if you have Nexus/Global Entry, just go in the regular line; the "faster" line is always slower and almost every "pre-cleared low-risk" traveler gets a painfully slow secondary screening, quite unlike the general public lines that are longer but much faster (though still slower than US TSA).

At HNL, DCA, SEA, etc. I rarely get to airport (int'l or domestic) more than 45 min before flight departure. In Canada you'd better get there at least 1h30m before, if not a full 2h. You'll need plenty of extra time for the painfully slow CATSA experience.
Originally Posted by PHXflier
My experience with CATSA is much different; about on par with the TSA, and perhaps a bit faster.
Same here. With Nexus and no bags, I stroll in around 35-40 minutes before any flight, including pre-cleared transborder flights. Never waited long enough at CATSA to make it even a close call.