FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:23 pm
travelgurlz

Angry British Airways Compensation Claim Help for Wrongfully Canceled Ticket

British Airways wrongfully canceled my return ticket and delayed my arrival to my final destination by 15 hours. They are refusing compensation.. What can I do?

I bought round trip tickets from Chicago to Vienna with a layover in London (both ways). On our outbound flight path while boarding the flight to Vienna there was a computer glitch or something that happened which made it show in the BA system that we were not on the flight. Since we did not appear to have taken that flight (we do have proof we were on the flight- boarding passes and receipts for crisps), our return flights were canceled. We did not find this out until we were at the check in desk at the Vienna airport to go home. We missed that flight, finally after haggling for 2 hours got on the next flight to London and as all the flights back to Chicago were full we had to spend the night in a Heathrow airport hotel and return the following morning. We were delayed 15 hours to our final destination.

I submitted a claim for compensation based on flight delay. BA came back to me and said they do not have to pay compensation because this is not technically a flight delay and offered me 2 100 pound vouchers for my troubles (eyeroll). I replied saying that perhaps this better falls under the "denied boarding" compensation. Denied boarding by the regulation is defined as this: a refusal to carry passengers on a flight, although they have presented themselves for boarding under the conditions laid down in Article 3(2) - which we had. I am afraid they will come back and say this is not technically a denied boarding. If they do, what can I say?

I must be entitled to some compensation for this! I know it. I think if I take them to court a judge will rule in my favor but I don't want to have to do that. Is there anything else I can try to say to the airline to get them to pay up?

Another less pressing question: If I get them to fess up and pay for denied boarding, can I make a second claim for compensation because we missed our connecting flight? Can you claim compensation twice for one itinerary?

Thank you!