FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:34 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR
CEDR issued decision against my case just now, which simply put is that my flight is cancelled because the aircraft (a 777) has to be elsewhere, replacing 787 that has to be taken out due to engine issues. Arbitrator agreed 787 hidden defect is exceptional circumstances, though argued given the time frame between announcement and my flight, there is no evidence of the airline doing everything they could to prevent the cancellation.
Thanks for putting that online, it will be extremely useful to FTers and lurkers. Paragraphs 9 and 10 are particularly interesting and so anyone claiming needs to emphasise the multiple points raised there, including the fact that BA didn't try hard enough to keep their passengers on time. This "didn't try hard enough" goes right back to why EC261 came about, in the context of low cost carriers' modus vivendi in that period of time.