FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Explain Globalist vs. Marriott/SPG platinum?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:23 am
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jameswes
Reward Stock: Values at 1.97 cpp
TPG: Values at 1.8 cpp
And Lucky values Hyatt at 1.5 cpp, which I feel is accurate. Just because you can redeem at over 2 cpp doesn't mean that's their value for comparative purposes. I've run into plenty of potential Hyatt redemptions that are below 1 cpp. (And IMO TPG valuations are simply not credible. That site has become nothing but shameless credit card marketing.)

Originally Posted by jameswes
But as a general rule-of-thumb, Hyatt points are worth about twice as much as a Marriott point. Especially since the huge values from Marriott/SPG points was the Marriott Travel Package and SPG transfers to airlines. With those being diluted, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Marriott point value go down a little bit.
Um, you might want to rethink that analysis. There's been no dilution at all in SPG airline point transfers. They still transfer at the same ratio, with the same 25% bonus if redeemed in blocks of 60k (i.e., 20k SPG). That transfer opportunity has substantial value, particularly since you can no longer transfer UR to KE, which means that Marriott points are now the only currencies that transfer to LH and KE.