FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using AA Miles for F from MLE: EY vs CX
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:19 pm
platbrownguy

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
CX has gone downhill, in my opinion, from what it was 10-15 years ago (I can't comment on a precise 2013 vs 2018 comparison, maybe someone else can, but I flew it in 2017 and wasn't wowed). The seat/bed is still great. The service and food aren't what it used to be. They no longer do the balik salmon along with the caviar. The Krug is no longer guaranteed, they have been rotating. You might read the reports on the CX board for more specifics from those who fly it regularly. I think there is wide consensus on the food being less than stellar these days, although to be fair the bulk of the criticism is probably lodged against the J food which I think has taken a greater hit. The lounges at HKG are still great -- Pier went through a downswing with a new caterer but is back again. In any event, I have been redeeming JL F for transpacs when possible, although as you probably know that doesn't work well for MLE.

I'm doing F Apts for the first time tomorrow (!) and will report back at some point thereafter. I am expecting the crew to be hit or miss, as you describe -- seems to be the issue with the ME3, and it will be a pleasant surprise if the crew is great. We are flying JFK-AUH-MLE (A320 recliners on the last segment).

As an alternative, keep in mind that CMB-HKG-LAX in J can get down to ~$1600, with HKG-LAX (if booked on AA) easily confirmable into F (A class) using 25,000 miles (and no co-pay if the J/R fare is around). Admittedly, AA even in F may not be what you're looking for, but $1600 + 25,000, if it's available, for CX J to HKG then AA F to LAX, is (in my opinion based on my current assessment of CX) a better deal for me than 115k for CX. At least, it's what I've booked for the way back from the Maldives for myself! I currently see $2300ish booking into I, but the J/R fare comes and goes, I snagged CMB-HKG-LAX-JFK-DCA for $1683, and used 25k to upgrade both HKG-LAX and LAX-JFK to F.