FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SamTrans "SFO" route <-> Millbrae Caltrain launched June 24, 2018
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:34 pm
docbert

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by garykung
Not true.

It is true that BART has free parking during the weekend days. However, the standard daily parking policies apply that you can't park the car overnight. The only way you can park the car overnight at a BART Station is to obtain a Airport/Long Term Parking permit. BART issues parking permits even the parking fee is $0. Without the permit, all cars are subject to tow.
You are more than willing to believe that. However the official BART parking page disagrees with you. From https://www.bart.gov/guide/parking :

"At all BART parking facilities, the 24 hour rule for leaving your vehicle is waived during and throughout weekends and BART designated holidays. [...] This means you may leave your vehicle at a BART parking facility during and throughout the weekends and the BART designated holidays continuously and payment of parking fees is not required for these days."
Unless you can match up the time perfectly, it sounds like trouble more than saving money.
There's no "times" to match up. BART parking is only charged between 4am and 3pm on weekdays. Outside of those hours it is FREE. So if you arrival at (say) 10am on Friday, you pay $3 to cover the period from 10am Friday to 3pm Friday. From there, parking is free until 4am Monday. The 24 hour rule doesn't apply, as it's a weekend (considered so until 4am on Monday morning, or Tuesday if Monday is a holiday).

If you really don't want to risk it, just go and "buy" an airport parking reservation covering the weekend. It's completely free, and has the advantage that if you do need to extend into Monday (eg, flight delays/etc) then you can do so.

Unless you parking at a BART station where Samtrans routes to SFO are available, I don't see how you you can avoid taking BART to SFO.
Personally, I've done each of catching a Taxi, an Uber, and walking from Millbrae BART to or from SFO. The first was for an early flight before BART had started running. The second a delayed flight that got us in after BART had stopped running. The last was a few months ago (before the bus being talked about here started). It was a beautiful day, I only had a backpack (short overnight trip) and I was in no rush to get to the airport, so I decided I was going to walk over to the Bayfront and catch the 292 bus. I managed to miss the bus by about a minute, so decided what the heck, lets see if I can walk all the way!

In case you're wondering, it is possible to walk, but I would not at all recommend it. There's no footpath the vast majority of the way, although there is a good shoulder, a bike lane, and not a lot of traffic. It's also possible there may have been a "No pedestrians" sign or two that I choose to not see...

(San Bruno BART to the Rental Car/Airtrain station is actually very doable, with footpaths the entire way - although I've yet to try doing it)