FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Automatic Upgrade Request Inhibitor
View Single Post
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:17 am
Phil Level

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by prometa
Just to be clear, UA will not remove your existing seat assignment just because you are on the waitlist—they will only change your seating assignment if you are upgraded. You are saying you do not want to be upgraded under any circumstances, and would prefer your economy seat over first?

There’s several reasons I can think of why someone might not want to be upgraded. Just wanted to confirm that’s what you meant.
Originally Posted by DWAGENT
I don't know the odds, and I assume it's low, but you know that old saying..."when you least expect it..."

And you're right--if I DID happen to get upgraded, I'm sure I could swap with someone...but I'm not sure I would be able to swap back to the same seat that I had originally.

Yes, you understood my intent perfectly--I do not want to be upgraded under any circumstances, I would prefer to keep the seat that I selected during booking (in economy class--over a first class seat, business class, or even in a different economy section).
Sadly there are countless reports here on FT of UA changing seat assignments, and if/when you fly UA enough times, it will eventually happen to you. Happened to me last month on LAX-HNL flight, but I got lucky and caught the seat change in time to set things back to how I wanted them (there were 6 of us flying that day).