FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Europe->SFO: Which city offer highest chance of Star Alliance Award Business Class ?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:08 am
montegobay408

Programs: KrisFlyer United
Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's my findings:
1. The "Star Alliance" is a very weak alliance. Singapore Airlines cannot see availability on UA or AC flights for rewards booking.
2. Working the SG to book the RTW requires stamina. First you have to do all the HW and map the flights you want. Nobody at SG will do that for you.
3. While you may be tempted to use the email method, I will save u time to avoid that. They take 2 days to reply and it's quite a waste when they just reply "Not Available". I would even ignore the US customer service, and call the Singapore number directly ! They seem to have more reps, and SHORTER waiting time. I have never gotten thru to the US one.
4. It pays to do your homework on SG. The solution to my dilemna to get out of Europe WESTWARD to US was seeing that SG has ONE flight from Frankfurt to JFK. That finally closed the loop and allow the RTW to be booked. The LH, UA, AC were all dead-ends - looking at June dates (and even July). Some of you suggested Eastward booking, but I wanted to hit the Asian countries in May while it was not so hot, and save Europe for the tail end.
5. Sadly none of the oceans-crossings are Business Class (as promised by their ads if you have 240k points). SG had no availability, and I had to settle for Premium Economy. I will persist and see if upgrades are possible.

I am still glad to have gotten my RTW trip booked at very little costs ($800 for 2 people for taxes, fees), but it would have been nice to get the FULL Business Class experience for the ocean crossings.
@hardworking21, does SG have 2 lounges then ? One for BC and one for FC ?

TC