FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:35 pm
kmersh

I have a buddy in a wheelchair and he went ahead and bought a UNITED Basic Economy Ticket without asking me first (as I would have advised him to spend a few bucks more and buy a regular economy ticket).

He is flying in five days and called up UNITED to ask how it works being disabled and on a Basic Economy Ticket and the agent (he said had a thick foreign accent) seemed absolutely clueless, saying something like generally it is this, but being disabled, I would assume that you would not be able to have your wheelchair and it would need to be checked at the ticket counter rather than at the gate and that he is not eligible for the ADA seat (which sounds almost illegal) etc..

I have never flown a Basic Economy ticket, so I truly have no idea how to help my friend, does anyone where know how being disabled in a wheelchair works with a Basic Economy ticket?

He will also need the aisle chair as he can barely walk more than 10 steps or so.