FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KLM "light fare", Delta operated flight - FB Elite Plus benefits
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:12 am
skyhighlander

KLM "light fare", Delta operated flight - FB Elite Plus benefits

Greetings my fellow Flyertalkers,

I've been researching Light/Basic Economy AFKLM/DL arrangements, and after going through a number of threads at various sites I still have questions...

I'm looking into buying EU-US return ticket where transatlantic leg(s) may be operated by Delta. For those who have no status and are on either basic or light fare, it's pretty straightforward - no bags, no seat selection, etc., regardless of marketing or operating carrier.

​​​​When it comes to Elites Plus however, there seems to be an inconsistency.

Delta Golds and above on basic fares don't seem to get anything. Some say that contacting DL directly (i.e. Twitter) will get you a seat assigned in advance, but that's just about it (no checked bags for instance).

Flying Blue Golds and Plats on light fares still get 1 bag and all other benefits. So that's fine as long as all is marketed and operated by AFKLM....

...but what will happen when you're checking in for a Delta operated flight? Surely in their system your booking will come up as basic economy? Hence not entitled to a free checked bag? Or will adding your FB number help?

I'm not overly concerned about leaving Europe, but checking in at a remote station in US for a connecting flight and wanting to check a bag may lead to problems if your booking is indeed showing on their screens as Basic Economy...

I've seen 2 main replies so far - rules of the airline operating first segment apply (in my case: out - KLM's, return - Delta's) and the others are saying that the marketing carrier's rules apply...

Can you share your knowledge, please?