FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Visiting Colleges & Unis Around PHL/EWR/JFK
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:35 pm
zippy the pinhead

Originally Posted by Analise
Don't count on it. The College Board announced only those caught cheating will have their scores invalidated.
At the location where he took the test there were a pair of "limo buses" that arrived carrying Chinese students from mainland China, who had come over just to take the test, so when the story emerged-- many of his friends were also testing-- of course they were discussing it with considerable energy. (At least one of them had spoken with a few of the students who came in on the busses, which is how they learned where they had come from.) We made him an offer regarding his scores on the test; I'm more concerned about having to pay up than I am regarding the invalidation of the scores.

This particular student from the LA Times article has a bigger problem than his SAT scores especially if he goes on interviews. Perhaps he should have parceled some of the 200 hours on mastering elementary school grammar? Perhaps he should have asked for anonymity?
I find it hard to imagine the struggling LA Times can afford to pay reporters to stand in front of a testing center to interview students as they exit. They must have gotten him on Twitter or Reddit or some equivalent. (Rancho Cucamonga is a bit of a drive from downtown LA.) His school doesn't rank very well in comparison to many around here, but at least he took the SAT. In some of the high schools around here, a good number of the kids don't even bother.

This caught my eye. FYI — If your son is considering either of these two academies, he might want to secure the nominations he needs for the application as soon as possible. Some legislators might only nominate one candidate from his/her district.
After watching some YouTube videos of Plebe/Cadet life, I think he has concluded that sort of thing is not for him. If we go, it is purely to see/experience the campus. Military life is not for everyone, but a couple of my friends told me that USMA is really pretty interesting just to visit. When I was younger I read some books by William Manchester, including "American Caesar," and I often thought that if I get out that way, why not have a look?