FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Delta Follow it’s Own Upgrade Rules
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:52 pm
troyintn

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kkua
Just joined in the thread. Yes, I concur and can confirm. I've seen this happen to me on about 90% of my LGA-ATL and ATL-LGA flights. About 121 hrs prior to the upgrade window, I would see J/C/P/F/A/G class availability for sale and look at the seat availability map. Then at 118 hrs prior, I can verify that the seat decrease for sale in J/C/P/F/A/G corresponds to the additional assigned assigned in domestic first class.

What I cannot confirm is if this also happens to married segments, open-jaw trips, stopovers or joined end-on-end ticketed fare rules.

My take: a DM/MM (or DM/2M, DM/3M) is more prone to switch flights and use their same-day-confirmed or stand-by priviledges instead of flying as ticketed. Hence, the system would not provide auto upgrades for DM/MM passengers. On the upside, I'm usually #1 or #2 on the upgrade queue and get upgraded about 50% of the time on this route.
I disagree as a DM 2MM, I usually buy medium to high fares and am upgraded at the 5 day mark most of the time. If I am not upgraded at 5 days it will be at the gate/ or on the list. I buy my tickets 6 or 7 days out to make sure I am on the list versus waiting until closer, since most of my routes are pretty full and I do not want a middle seat.