FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BoB - Success, Failure or just head in the clouds?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:34 am
Andriyko

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
because I've never been on a LH flight with nothing to eat except the super short ones.

But the thing is, orbitmic, that I just don't want to eat anything. Whatever LH or KLM gives out on short flight is not a meal, it's a snack, a poor quality one, mostly bread. If I want a snack I'll eat a fruit but I won't eat sandwiches in between meals.

I actually agree with you that if one can and wants to spend money to eat at the airport, it will often be better than whatever you get onboard (some airports are sadly dire exceptions), though it is equally true that taking the logic even further, most airport eateries offer very poor value for money

But there is really no avoiding spending money on food when travelling. Eating out involves spending money. Yes, you are absolutely right that airport food outlets offer poor value, but as far as I can see from posts here business travelers, those who fly the most, can expense their meals (lucky they are!). Leisure travelers who fly once or twice a year will absorb the cost of the food similarly as they would when at the destination because they can't cook their own meals. It is no different from going to a theme park and having to pay for meals (also overpriced and poor value). I just don't think that what the still full service carriers offer as snacks can be considered a meal; it seems to be more a matter of principle for some that they do get something complimentary because they chose to fly with a particular airline and because things used to be this way in the good old days when flying was a thrill and not just being on a bus as it is now. BoB or not what I like the most is that flying has become affordable for a lot of people and it has become so cheap that I can travel much more often than I used to, if the casualty of that has to be lack of complimentary service and tighter seating and general disappearance of any romanticism of flying I don't mind.

That's why your experience of risking going hungry on LH but not on BA surprised me, especially as, as mentioned, I've witnessed many a BA flight with none of the sandwiches/salads available after just a few rows (something many others have in fact experienced and reported on here).
Yes, I refuse to eat crap (pardon my language), so I will rather go hungry on LH than eat what they offer. However, it is highly unlikely that I will actually go hungry as I plan my meals when travelling similarly as I do when not travelling. So, for example, when flying from Kiev to London I will eat at the airport because the flight departs just after 2, which is well past my lunch time and BA does not offer any hot food even for purchase as we know. I will only buy a drink on board if I want one. It works the same way on the return - I will eat at the airport and buy a filling sandwich from Pret for lunch to eat before landing (even in CE as I passionately dislike the hot breakfast and am rather upset, same as you are, that BA removed the cold plate option). PS works great for me because I can pre-order a hot meal if the flight falls during my meal times. I just work with what's available and never make a decision to fly a particular airline based on whether or not I will get a complimentary meal, especially since they are very seldom good or filling. Still, I would never blame an airline if I actually do go hungry due to lack of BoB items; I just don't believe that flying and being able to eat while flying must go together and that airlines must ensure that people have something to eat.

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Has anyone deliberately switched to CE due to BoB? For us, the seats & food are not worth the extra money.

I actually stopped paying for business class on shorthaul ever since PS and BA (my two main carriers) introduced BoB. Business class usually carries a still significant price premium, mostly for the additional space, but I can recreate the soft product elements for the fraction of the cost with BoB and I don't mind that the middle seat is almost never empty on a short flight.

Last edited by Andriyko; Sep 1, 2018 at 7:10 am