FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BoB - Success, Failure or just head in the clouds?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:56 pm
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I still despise it and it has participated in changing my perception of ba’s identity as a airline.

The impact has been surprisingly close to what I predicted at the time. I’m not one from grand gestures but I recalibrate between the different airlines I use when the proposition changes. So I never said I’d boycott ba or anything but they became less of a priority especially on connecting long haul in Y, J, and F as well as connecting short haul (usually in Y sometimes in C). Indeed, I just booked a connecting Y KL flight after hesitating with BA. Timings were similar, mileage earning would be relatively similar, and BA was marginally more and I am quite certain that I would have chosen them before on that itinerary, but on this one I decided that they were not worth the difference.

Overall, my ba activity has gone down by about 30% in the period whilst my overall travel is stable this year and went up last year.

On point to point I’ve done a greater proportion of lcy flights. Perhaps the most striking change: in the whole period only one of my lgw flights has been with ba whilst they were at least monthly before.U2 and DY have benefited as well as a few other random airlines (not really FR which I do not like flying).

I can hear people protest "but then if you fly BA less in J and F, it's nothing to do with BoB right?" but they are wrong. I'm just consistent with what I have always said, to me, the whole logic of saying one cause produces one effect is a mistaken approach which does not in any way resemble the way in which human decisions are made. Our brain (and "heart" if you like to call it that way) tends to take holistic approaches to thinks and is far more sophisticated than that.

BoB is one element which affects the value you get from the airline as well as the image you have of it, and that has an impact on all of your decisions where the airline product is a proposal and not just the ones the airline would want you to arbitrate on. Any thought that "at worst, we'll lose the cheap Y European flight but he'll still fly with us on those long haul J and F" is a complete miscalculation which misunderstands the whole nature of human decision or is stuck in teenage lists of "pros" and "cons" columns. Decisions react to overall assessments, perceptions, signals, and a certain element of brain automation. To caricature, a number of changes including BoB mean that for my LGW flights, I no longer start from the assumption that I might as well fly BA if their fare is reasonable which I used to do before. Ex-LHR my calculation is different because my CCR access still gives me value, but paradoxically, that mostly protects my Y flying because things start evening out in J let alone F.

One of my friends who mostly flies long haul J and short haul Y, all typically connecting, has also completely switched away from BA in large part due to BoB. That annoyed her enough to find their short haul Y offer "Easyjetesque", but because she flies less than me and can really only get top status with one alliance, switching her Y European flights to AF-KL, she has moved her long haul (almost all J) to them at the same time.

Unintended consequences perhaps.

Last edited by orbitmic; Sep 1, 2018 at 12:48 am