FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:39 am
acarney

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Publix grocery stores runs a 'buy a $50 gas card for $40' typically a couple times a month. I buy one as part of a bundle of groceries when that promotion is on and Amex has never seemed to have an issue with that, even during the sign-up bonus phase for a couple of different AmEx cards I have.
My problem is that it wouldn't be a gift card for a specific retailer, it would have to be a VISA or MasterCard gift card which I could then use over at Fred Meyer (Kroger family of stores). I really don't do any grocery shopping at any other stores (prices are higher, service is FAR slower, items are lower quality or don't carry what I buy most the time, etc). So the purchase really would be like a $50 gift card or $100 gift card, MAYBE I could toss one or two items on there as well (milk or apples or something) but it wouldn't get mixed in with other items. I would use the card at least 30 times a month, but the rest of the charges would probably be pretty small (vending machine at work, etc) and I might shift one or two bills each month onto it. However, the one focus I have right now is getting the money I spend on food items to pick up some kind of bonus, so I won't be creating new spending to put on it as that would defeat the purpose :P