FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:22 am
quantumofforce

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Okay...

So there I am, sitting in the FRA Lufthansa First Class Terminal with a friend, awaiting our breakfast orders.

Our Personal Assistant walks over, and says “Uh, Mr. Kennedy, the police would like to have a word with you.”

As one can imagine, many things started flashing through my mind. Luckily, it quickly became clear this was the border police, and the question would be no different than had I actually presented myself at exit immigration. But before even getting to the officer, I knew what it was about.

5 days ago, we flew AMS-LHR, after having spent about a week in Schengen. To my surprise, it wasn’t just EU passports allowed to use the automated gates, but also Canada, USA, Australia, and a bunch of others. I happily went through, all the while wondering how it was going to work without getting an exit stamp. The entry stamp was 10 days ago, also at FRA.

Of course, the officer wanted to know when I left Germany. I pulled up TripIt and told him all the details. There were questions about whether I had residency in any EU country (I do not), and the language barrier made it a little hard to explain the whole kiosk thing. At every other airport I’ve been to, kiosks are only for EU/UK/etc. passports.

He asked if I had a copy of my AMS-LHR ticket. Luckily, I did have my AMS-LHR boarding pass. I had to go upstairs to get it. I stopped by the restaurant, explained the situation, and my friend said “I’m pretty sure I got a stamp there”. Back downstairs with the boarding pass, the officer asked if he could take a photo. He also said he was going to call someone, and I’d probably get a “big stamp”.

The personal assistant spoke with him in German, and the result of that exchange was a check of my friend’s passport, and sure enough, he had an exit stamp.

Back upstairs again, sipping on champagne, talking it over with my friend. After the automated kiosks, most people were just leaving, but some were stopping for a stamp. He stopped. He was ahead of me, I didn’t see him stop, so when I got through the automated gate, I just kept walking, completely oblivious to the whole thing.

It seems a little odd that it’s up to the individual to get their “mandatory” stamp.

Anyway, they certainly encouraged me to take this flight and go back to good old USA, and be more mindful in the future. There’s now an entire page in my passport taken up by a special stamp that says:

"Die ausreise am 19.08.2018 in Amsterdam, Niederlande wurde nachträglich nachgewiesen."
Bundespolizeidirektion Flughafen Frankfurt/Main 24.08.18

That translates roughly to "The departure on 19.08.2018 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands was subsequently proven."
Federal Police Directorate Frankfurt/Main Airport 24.08.18

It also has a “Vorgangsnummer” (operation number) and “Unterschrift” (signature).

Not fun, but luckily resolved without issue.

Though I think I'll stay home for a while (once I finally arrive - one flight left)
Leaving Hungary They asked to see my other passport, but I only have one. He said I have no stamp, I insisted I got it just yesterday! Why were you hear for just one day? Well, there's a thing called a mileage run...

Anyway, he looked again and found the stamp .