FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A rant on AA award options
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:54 am
beyond

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, DL GM, AS MVP75K
AA doesn't have any predictable pattern I've seen about when they'll open up inventory, except perhaps within a couple of days of departure for international [it's the opposite on domestic]. They also have the most partners not viewable at aa.com, a shameful, ridiculous scenario all these years later.

In addition, they claim for EP's to have improved availability - but I've never seen it, and EP agents say that's not so even when you call in. Unlike UA, which gives better inventory on nearly all UA flights for status/credit card holders. As well as having more of a chance of opening up inventory closer to departure. And partner airlines like LH/OS/LX have a lot of space turn up a few days before departure.

If you don't get saver on AA, then the "anytime" varies wildly, and even by time of day, and especially from captive hubs like CLT. Miles on all airlines are more a PR tease than a real reward for having earned them - an endless "Sale!" sign in the window luring us in under the guise we'll find something of value. For those that have the "I'll go anywhere, I don't care!" of course you'll find the occasional oddity that strikes a value cord. But those are very few and very far between.