FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3 or 4 weeks Australia - What time of year to go?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:21 am
CPMaverick

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by kapooncha
That being said, I've been thinking about doing 3 or 4 weeks next year. Would like to see the cities like Sydney and Melbourne, Tasmania Island, GBR, Lord Howe. I had been leaning toward September/October time frame but I guess that's not really good water temperature time for Lord Howe.
Well, most of the places you are suggesting would have better weather in summer (including NZ), with the possible exception of the GBR. I think November is a good time to visit Australia. It's fairly mild in the south, and not too hot up north. It's also a low travel season, particularly between the US and Australia, so you can usually find good flight deals. Tack on Thanksgiving holidays and you even get a few extra days off in there, if you work a typical US job.

The only destinations I would avoid in November would be Darwin and the Red Centre. It's too hot in the middle and too hot, humid, & rainy in the far north. However, both might be manageable in very early November.

If you really want to do Australia and NZ, I definitely recommend taking 4 weeks if possible, if not more. There's so much to see if you include both countries, and both are worth seeing. You can start in the north and end up down south to maximize the chances of nice weather.

Lord Howe Island is an interesting option. I haven't personally been there, but I'd like to. Make sure you research this a lot before making your plans. Accommodation is limited on the island, and my understanding is it can book out well in advance.

I really love Western Australia and could highly recommend a few days out there if you can swing it. The natural beauty around Esperance makes it one of my favorite places in all of Australia. It isn't easy to get to, but probably no more trouble than Lord Howe. There are more accessible parts around Perth that are quite nice as well.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Aug 31, 2018 at 4:33 am