FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade monetization
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:52 am
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Technically, my original booking was for a "premium" ocean view whereas the monetized "upgrade" was for an ocean front room. I think this is more a case of Marriott or the property, which is Marriott-managed unlike many domestic Marriott properties, playing games with the names of room categories.

Basically, at the Marriott Waikiki Beach, ocean front rooms are the last room at the end of the hallway corridor whereas the "premium" ocean view rooms can be the neighboring room or a couple rooms past there down the hallway corridor.

In my experience, I've almost always been upgraded as a platinum-premier (and now as a platinum premier ambassador) to a junior suite, which has always been in the same location as the ocean front room. The only time I didn't get a junior suite was when I received a two-room suite with wet bar on the top floor that had amazing views of Diamond Head and partial views of the ocean. So, some or all of these ocean front rooms are also junior suites. However, I don't know if there is really any difference because the junior suites that I've had have looked about the same size as a regular room but had a full sofa. One had a coffee table, the other didn't.

I could imagine elite status upgrades at this property will be difficult in high season because of the "upgrade" monetization scheme.

But it's worth checking your reservations. Hopefully, others will contribute similar monetization experiences to this thread.

Not sure what the difference is at this hotel between the ocean front room and the ocean front junior suite. I've stayed in pretty much all the junior suites and suspect that the ocean front rooms might be on the lower floors as I think about it. Perhaps they are at the end of the corridor but not as big ... just the chair and no room for the sofa.

But the same program that gives the upgrade offer is used at Hilton and I've seen it at a couple of other legacy Marriott properties. I believe it is in use at most SPG properties since I saw this on a recent legacy SPG property. But, its a little like DL and AA selling upgrades to non-elites. It reduces the opportunity for upgrades but suites and F/J are there to sell -- not just to give away.

And while this property is very good on upgrades having stayed there dozens of times, they do occasionally sell out suites or types of suites -- king vs two beds -- particularly during peak season and when you have a multi-day stay. They are very good however about playing tetris/juggling rooms to make something work. GM's at that property are very engaged, the rooms managers are looking to take care of elites, etc. I was thinking about whether I should see if my ambassador could do something or using my new SNA's but decided to wait and see if things had changed at this property for the worse -- they haven't. Now ... if those drink coupons still work