FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Miracle onboard (safety video)
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:53 am
RobDBA

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
You are supposed to watch the SAFETY video and learn from it. You are not supposed to look at other 180 passengers and make notes that who laughed and then compare the number to the flight you took 2 years ago.

Epic failure for the video as it can not make you concentrated on the message.
Maybe I have super senses but I find it quite possible to hear and see things in my peripheral vision while looking at a small screen 5-15 feet away, especially when what I'm noticing is a sizable number of people near me looking in the same direction as I am. Also I take around 40 BA flights a year so probably could recite the old video by the time it changed, that gives me a little opportunity to notice what else is going on at the same time.

It would be interesting to see any research into these videos. My assumption is that even if they are watching it because it is funny/different more people will absorb more of the serious message than do when its a normal safety video or demo which is ignored by the vast majority. I might be wrong but at the end of the day the concept of learning through entertainment is not exactly wacko science...