FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Email regarding compromised App data
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:45 am
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
My letter says

"Am I affected?
During our investigation, we determined during the time period from Aug. 22‑24, 2018, approximately one per cent or 20,000 user profiles of our 1.7 million Air Canada mobile App accounts may have been improperly accessed. We have since determined your user profile is among these accounts."

So, it looks like, if they can determine that your account was affected, they tell you. Perhaps, if they haven't detected improper activity in account, they can't necessarily prove it didn't happen.
Received similar email claiming to be from AC, forwarded it on to Phishing department since AC is never supposed to send these types of email out on the first place. Couple minutes later received another such email from them forcing me to do some more digging around. Upon re-checking that initial email I got it says the following:

"Am I affected?
As a result of our analysis, we are confident your account was not affected by these unauthorized attempts. As an additional security precaution however, we have locked all Air Canada mobile App accounts to further protect customer data.

To reactivate your Air Canada mobile App account, please see the instructions below or follow the prompts the next time you log into your Air Canada mobile App.

Your privacy and the protection of your data are extremely important to Air Canada. Our security is multi‑layered, and we work with leading industry experts to continuously improve our practices as technology and security procedures evolve. "

I'll update this later I guess (keeping it locked till I absolutely need to use that login feature).

Safe Travels,

James