FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:58 pm
usbusinesstraveller

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
There is an easy fix here. Children should be seated with parents regardless of fare class and should be seated in the rear of the plane (unless elite). This is a win win. They get their own section and we get to not have to deal with them.
There are easy fixes and some have been covered on here. My I suggest another.

Much as it pains me to give a comparison to RyanAir (and no I don’t for one moment think UA is FR quality) Ryanair had similar issues and fixed it as follows -

With any families with children, the adults have to pay the seat selection fee, mandatory no questions asked, no fee paid by the adults no check in. The children (no seat fee required) would then be assured of being seated next to a parent/guardian (though not necessarily having the entire family seated together).

That’s something that with a bit of effort from UA”s IT geeks (and given the app I mean that on a good way) can be accomplished.

Though in this particular case I have no sympathy with the OP. It was his sister in law and her children (the OP’s nephews/nieces) and he did diddly squat in volunteering to change his seats to help out and stuffed another passnger.