FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are property owners the real “winners” in the merger ?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:56 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
So , after reading the voluminous posts on the merger and the various “enhancements”, it occurred to me that one group seemingly came out ahead /unscathed - the property owners . This is especially true for the legacy SPG properties . No more 4pm check out or breakfast for the matched SPG Gold /Marriott Gold. A lot more discretion in suite upgrades and potentially less accountability . MAGC point reduction value for SPG legacy properties . It appears that the legacy Marriott guaranteed bed type is also watered down in the new t and c which could result in fewer compensation payments . Etc etc

I believe that one of the stated goals of the merger was to keep the “costs” of loyalty benefits low for the property owners - correct me if I am wrong but I think I remember hearing or seeing that . If I am right , then I think thiat mission was accomplished .
When did SPG Gold benefits ever include breakfast? IIRC Plats got breakfast, points, or sometimes a local amenity while Golds got a free drink coupon or free internet, although the terms varied by region so it's complicated.

If a Gold happened to get an above and beyond upgrade to a club level room, that would mean free breakfast, but golds were only entitled to enhanced rooms (if available) in the same category as what was booked.